If anyone doesn’t understand why we use Froggy Went A Courting as a fill in whilst members come up to the microphone (especially Joe), it’s a U3A in joke. Dave uses it as one of the warm up songs for our weekly Leigh sessions, and frankly most members are sick and fed up of it. (especially Joe)
Thanks to this week’s reduced Ashes – Ken on bass, Eddie on harmonica and Tom on percussion and cajon. No little drummer boy this week, Brendan has a poorly back – our sincere sympathies. Thanks to all those who lead on some of tonight’s songs – Les B, Brian, Mark, Eddie, Graham P, Dave D, Gillian, Donna, Ernie, Steve McG, Les H, Trevor, Betty, Sophie. And of course, Sophie, Betty, Jo, Gillian, Donna, Eunice Jackie and Jo for wearing an Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. Just one bikini between them all. But it were a big ‘un.
A really excellent STARTIME this week, all of them really good performances. So thanks to -
- Steve McG and Eddie with a recent Rolling Stones number from their 2016 Blue and Lonesome album, I’m Just Your Fool. A great opportunity for some cool harmonica playing. The song was originally written and performed in 1954.
- Graham P gave us an excellent version of the Beatles’ Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight from their 1969 Abbey Road album.
- Don Jenkins, in a debut performance, sang a very good version of Burl Ives’ A Little Bitty Tear (1961). Look forward to hearing some more from Don.
- Joe B accompanied by Dave gave us George Straits 1989 song Ace In The Hole.
- Les B and Eddie sang Buck Owens 1966 song Think Of Me. A number one for 6 weeks in the US Country Charts.
This Thursday it’s Diane and Dave’s night at the Crown, New Springs.
Next week it’s the turn of Dave Shotliff and Margo Thompson. Set List later.
Also no drummer again next week, Brendan, if he can get off the bed, is in Portugal.