And didn’t we start it off in fine fashion? A reasonably full house thoroughly enjoyed a great evening of a very good play list from Steve G and Trevor. Thanks for hosting the evening, and thanks to Trevor for leading quite a number of the songs, not all of which were that straightforward. Well done Gents. Thanks to this week’s Ashes - Tom on percussion, Eddie on harmonica, Brendan on drums and Brian on bass. Thanks to those who stood up and lead on some of numbers – Les B, Dave D, Mark, Joe, Margo, Elaine, Donna and Betty where all around my hat, Graham P, Eddie, Steve McG, Brendan and Eric.
Another of those great STARTIMES, so thanks to
- Joe and Graham who gave us the Whack-A-Do Medley,– All I Do Dream of You (Gene Kelly from Singing in the Rain, also recorded by the late Debbie Reynolds); I Want To Be Happy (Doris Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett); Goody Goody (A Johnny Mercer song, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra etc); If You Knew Susie (Eddie Cantor, Dean Martin, Al Jolson).
- Mark gave us The Travelling Wilbury’s (Roy Orbison; George Harrison, Bob Dylan; Tom Petty; Jeff Lynne –what a line up) Handle With Care (1988)
- Les B sang Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire (1963). The song was written by Johnny’s wife June Carter Cash.
- Dave D gave us Amy Winehouse’s version of Our Day Will Come from her 2003 debut album Frankie. This song was a million seller in 1963 for Ruby and the Romantics.
- Margo, Eunice, Betty and Donna gave us Mary Wells My Girl (1963). Graham’s version is My Girl sung by The Temptations in 1965.
On good authority I believe that Thursday is Diane and Dave evening at the Crown, New Springs.
Next Week it’s the turn of the Two Graham’s. Set List later