A very full, entertaining and amusing STARTIME this week.
If you don’t watch any other video from the website this year, this week’s is a must.
- The Kaye Sisters, Eunice, Diane and Carole with Paper Roses. This was a hit for the Kaye Sisters in 1960 and again in 1973 for Marie Osmond.
- Taking over from Les Bond, Joe gave us Jim Reeves’ I Love You Because (1964). This song had previously been a hit for Al Martino the year earlier.
- The very non-PC Les H gave us Geoff of Fig and Bucket’s Fat Girl of Mine. Listen to the original at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOO_F34_rTk
- Eddie and Whispering Percussion Tom gave us a version Blowing In The Wind written by Bob Dylan in 1962 and appearing on his Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan album of 1963. The song was inducted into the Music Hall of Fame in 1994, and is No 14 of Rolling Stone magazine’s top 500 songs of all time.
- For sheer comic timing I cannot believe that this one was not rehearsed!!
- Brian, Les B accompanied by Graham P gave us Marty Robbins’ El Paso, the long version from 1959, but worth staying up for. The song was no 1 in the Country charts and won the Grammy award for the best Country and Western recording. Our version deserves an Oscar.
- Follow that and Trevor did with accompaniment from Paul with INXS’ Mystify Me (1987).
Next Week we have Les Harris and Al Cross. Set List later.
This Thursday it’s Diane and Dave’s do at the Crown, NewSprings.
Eric is still looking for one or two more people to make the vocal class run by Andrea Cooke viable.
The event will occur at the Subby Club on date TBA within the next couple of weeks. If you are interested please let Eric know at email@example.com ASAP.
This weekend is Parbold Ukulele festival. Details on FaceAche at https://www.facebook.com/Parbulele/?fref=ts