Thanks to the reduced Ashes this week, Tom on Cajón and percussion, Ken on bass and Eddie on harmonica.
Thanks to this week’s soloist on some of the numbers, Dave D, Mark, Jo, (Elaine, Margo, Jo and Sophie who all wanted to be Bobby’s Girl), Eddie, both Grahams, Trevor, Steve G, Ernie, Les H and Martin.
Wonderful and extended STARTIME this week. A full board without too much persuasion.
- David Brindley gave us The Seekers’ I’ll Never Find Another You. Always known as the lonely ram song. The song reached No 1 in the UK charts in February 1965.
- Sophie, backed by Ken and Graham P sang Carly Simon’s You’re So Vain (1972). Still some dispute as to who the song is about, but the general opinion is Warren Beatty, but a newspaper report this year suggested it may be her record producer David Geffen. Great voice Sophie, obviously didn’t inherit that from her dad !!
- Dave D followed this with Herman’s Hermit’s I’m Into Something Good. Another Gerry Goffin and Carole King song, the debut tune reached No 1 in the UK charts in Sept 1964.
- Eddie and Les B gave us Hank William’s With Tears In My Eyes, recorded by Hank in 1948 or 1949, it was not released until 1957.
- Graham P then gave us a spoof version of Leo Sayer’s I Can Dance. Great stuff.
Next week it’s the turn of Eric Lilley and Brian Brittain. Set List later.
This Thursday it is Diane and Dave’s night at The Crown New Springs.